Frequently Asked Questions
Here are some common questions we get asked about Shopify’s Partner Program. Read on to see if your question is answered here.
- How does the Shopify Partner Program work?
- How do I become a partner of Shopify?
- How will I get paid?
- How do I hand over a dev shop to a client?
- Why can’t I install an app on a dev shop?
- Why can’t I add a custom domain on a dev shop?
- How do I work on a live shop without affecting it?
- What is a partner token?
- How does app billing work?
- I don't live in Canada. Can I still participate?
- If a client signs up for a trial account and upgrades, will I be paid for the upgraded plan?
- What information will I be able to track about my affiliated clients?
- Why can’t I find out the revenue from each individual client?
- Will I get any tools to help me promote Shopify to my clients?
- Is the amount I can earn capped?
- What is included in the revenue share?
- Can I earn revenue on my own store?
- I know my affiliated client stores have had sales in the last few weeks. Why doesn't my revenue seem to be increasing accordingly?
- What happens if I want to dispute an amount of revenue I’ve been paid? It seems like the amount I received should be more/less.
- Will there be more features coming in the partner system?
- What are the terms of service?
- How do I cancel the program after signing up?
In this article:
How does the Shopify Partner Program work?
The Shopify Partner Program gives you two great ways to generate revenue. One is to refer clients to us. You will receive 20% revenue share for each client you refer. The other way is to write and publish Shopify Apps. You can sell your apps on a subscription basis or for a one time fee. You can also offer your app for free in order to generate more exposure for your own company.
How do I become a partner of Shopify?
Simply sign up for a Shopify Partner Account. Once you’re a partner, you can submit apps to the Shopify App Store and also start signing clients up under your account. You’ll be earning a portion of the revenue Shopify earns from each client from the day you sign them up. Shopify will pay you via PayPal on a regular basis, provided you’ve achieved the minimum balance.
How will I get paid?
Credits to Partner accounts will be accumulated and paid out on the following schedule:
- For all credits created between the 1st to and including the 15th of the month, payment will occur 5 business days after the 15th day of the month.
- For all credits created between the 16th to and including the last day of the month, payment will occur 5 business days after the last day of the month.
Payments will be delivered to you via PayPal in USD. Any money owed to you will be paid out twice monthly as long as your balance is above $25 USD. If your balance is below $25, it will be held until the next payout period.
How do I hand over a dev shop to a client?
When all your work is done and you're ready to hand over the store to your client, here are the steps involved:
Create a staff account for your client on the shop. You can do this by going to Settings -> Account -> Add a Staff Member.
Select subscription plan and add client's credit card (or the client can do this after they are the Account Owner - directions in Step 5).
Once the subscription plan is selected, assign the custom domain to the shop.
Install any required apps (optional).
Transfer ownership to your client by making them the Account Owner. The store can have only one account owner at a time, and only the account owner has full access to every part of the Shopify Admin. The account owner is the only one who can administer the subscription plans, credit card information, staff accounts and receive invoices. As a partner, you can still have a staff account on the shop with full access.
Provide your client with our Merchant Handoff Kit to help answer any questions they may have after taking ownership of their shop.
Why can’t I install an app on a dev shop?
Free apps can be installed on the dev shop. To install an app that has a fee, the dev shop needs to be on a plan with a credit card on the account.
Why can’t I add a custom domain on a dev shop?
To add a custom domain to a shop, it needs to be on a plan with a credit card on the account.
How do I work on a live shop without affecting it?
Option 1: Work with a dev shop
- From the live shop download the theme then upload the theme into your existing dev shop.
- Now you can work on a copy of the live shop’s theme in a dev environment.
- When you are ready to launch the updated theme, download the theme from the dev shop and then upload it to the Live Shop as the primary theme.
Option 2: Use a Theme Editor
- If you are a Mac user, you can edit your theme from your desktop using the Desktop Theme Editor for OS X. Download it from the App Store.
- You can also use the Textmate bundle to edit your theme inside TextMate (or E-editor on the PC) and the bundle then pushes you edits to your live shop using our API: Meeech's shopify.tmbundle.
- Shopify now has multiple theme support, so you can make a copy (duplicate) of your theme on your Theme Manager page in your shop admin, and edit that unpublished theme.
What is a partner token?
A partner token is a unique URL to provide to your clients. Every partner will get their own unique partner token. When it's time to create your client’s store, log in to the partner system then select the option to Create a New Shop, or provide your client with your partner token. This will tie the client’s store to your partner Account and the system will start tracking your income.
How does app billing work?
Application billing is explained in full on our Documentation Application Billing.
I don't live in Canada. Can I still participate?
Yes! All we need to pay you is a valid PayPal account. We will make payments in USD.
If a client signs up for a trial account and upgrades, will I be paid for the upgraded plan?
Yes, the plan change will be reflected in your partner dashboard.
What information will I be able to track about my affiliated clients?
You can track who your affiliated clients are, the total revenue in that pay period generated by all your affiliated clients, and the total revenue to date from all your affiliated clients.
Why can’t I find out the revenue from each individual client?
We do not provide this statistic as it would be a violation of the client’s privacy.
Will I get any tools to help me promote Shopify to my clients?
Yes! Visit our Client Resources section of the website for brochures, flyers and information you can share with prospective and current customers. We also provide some creative Shopify banners and logos for you to use and suggestions for how to brand yourself as a Shopify Partner. We send out a monthly newsletter containing Shopify news, tips on how to promote Shopify, and any other important information. If there's anything in particular you think we could provide that would be valuable to help you sell, please contact your partner manager.
Is the amount I can earn capped?
No! You can collect on as many clients earning as much income as you can possibly manage. The way we figure it, if you’re earning, we’re earning.
What is included in the revenue share?
For each customer you refer to Shopify, you’ll get 20% of their monthly Shopify plan subscription fee – including Shopify plan transaction fees – for as long as they are a Shopify customer.
If your client's Shopify store is using a third-party payment gateway, Shopify plan transaction fees will apply. If your client's Shopify store is using Shopify Payments, all Shopify plan transaction fees will be waived and the Subscription plan credit card rate is applicable. As a partner, you only collect revenue share on Shopify plan transaction fees, and not on the Subscription plan credit card rate.
Can I earn revenue on my own store?
Unfortunately, no. Collecting partner earnings on a store run by yourself in whole or in part is fraud and grounds for dismissal from the partner program.
I know my affiliated client stores have had sales in the last few weeks. Why doesn't my revenue seem to be increasing accordingly?
As a Shopify Partner you get 20% of your clients monthly Shopify bill, including transaction fees — for as long as they are a Shopify customer. If your client's Shopify store is using a third-party payment gateway, Shopify plan Transaction fees will apply. We calculate the revenue owed to the partner based on invoices paid by the client. Once the invoice has been sent from Shopify to the client and the client has paid, you'll see your revenue tally start to accumulate.
What happens if I want to dispute an amount of revenue I’ve been paid? It seems like the amount I received should be more/less.
For any payment disputes, contact your partner manager with the full details of the issue. We’ll review your message and see what we can do to get it resolved.
Will there be more features coming in the partner system?
Yes! Just as with Shopify, we’re sneakily developing all kinds of useful features for the partner program that will magically appear on days when you least expect it. We’ll keep you updated on these upgrades right before they go live. If there’s any feature or functionality that you think would make the system rock, contact your partner manager.
What are the terms of service?
The terms of service are located here.
How do I cancel the program after signing up?
Please contact your partner manager.
Don’t see the answer you’re looking for?
Get in touch at firstname.lastname@example.org.