Shopify Design Policy
With Shopify, it's easy to make basic design changes like picking new colors schemes and fonts, or adding a store logo. And if you're tech savvy or have some help from a Shopify Expert, it's possible to make significant customizations to your theme and really change the look of your storefront.
Shopify is happy to help you with your basic Theme Setting customizations if you are on the Basic plan or higher, and your theme is supported by Shopify. We then offer you one complimentary hour of design support. Unfortunately, if you're planning on making big changes to your theme we are unable to offer that kind of customer support.
If you are still interested in making changes, there are 3 ways to customize your Shopify store:
This is the easiest way to customize your theme. Anyone can do it! To edit your Theme, go to the Themes tab in your admin panel.
From here you'll be able to adjust the appearance of your storefront by clicking on the Theme Settings button.
For more detailed information about changing your theme settings, check out our guide on Changing the Look and Feel of Your Shop.
If you wish to customize your theme beyond what your Theme Settings offer, please keep reading!
Customizing your own theme: Coding experience required
Shopify is extremely customizable when you have the right tools. Knowing HTML and CSS and having a grasp on programming languages is recommended if you're planning to make advanced edits to your Shopify theme.
However, you can teach yourself a bit of HTML, CSS and Liquid (the programming language your store's theme is written in) for this purpose, and customize your theme on your own. There any many HTML and CSS guides available on the internet, and our Liquid tutorial.
Unfortunately, if you do choose to make significant changes to your store's theme, Shopify can't offer you the kind of full support you're used to from us – we just won't be able to keep up with you!
If you're ready to make the leap into customizing your own theme, please remember that:
- Shopify can't support extensive design and customization related issues for your shop. This includes theme customizations which require significant design work, adding features or changing the way your shop looks and feels.
- Shopify can't support issues related to custom designed shops or help with Liquid.
- Shopify can't add social sharing buttons to your theme, or social icons that point to your Facebook and Twitter pages. It is now a requirement that Shopify themes contain social sharing links or buttons, so you can easily pick a theme that comes with them already installed. You can also add them yourself; take a look at some of the tutorials in this section.
While Shopify can't support your advanced theme customizations directly, there are a number of ways you can find resources and get some help if you need it:
- Shopify Forums: We have a supportive community of shop-owners and designers in our Community forums that you can reach out to. It's best to be detailed when you ask a question, and to provide a link to your store. Designers will then be able to use their web development tools (like Firefox Firebug) to help you out. Think of giving back to the community as well: share your own ideas and code snippets.
- Shopify Docs: The Store customization section is comprised of articles and FAQs written by Shopify gurus and Experts to answer specific questions Shopify users have.
- Shopify Experts: See below!
Hire a Shopify Expert
If you want to make big changes to your Shopify theme that you can't do with your Theme Settings, but you don't want to edit your theme on your own, we have a great option for you: Shopify Experts.
Shopify Experts are industry professionals who are experienced in working with and building Shopify stores. Shopify Design or Developer Experts can help you customize your theme, or do it all for you!
To find a designer or developer to customize your Shopify store, please visit our Shopify Experts directory.