Importing your products with a CSV file
Importing products is useful especially if you switched to Shopify from another ecommerce site or you would want to make many changes to your products or inventory.
When importing products, Shopify does all the hard work for you. Instead of creating each product one at-a-time, Shopify extracts data from your CSV file and turns them into products in your shop.
- Import products from another store
- Import products after making changes to your CSV file
In this article:
Import products from another store
You can add products from another platform through your Shopify admin.
1. From the Products page, click the Import products button.
If you have already added some products then the Import button appears here:
2. Click the Need to import products from another platform link.
Check to see if the ecommerce platform that you came from is listed. If it is, click on their icon to get the Free importer from Shopify. On these pages, you will find instructions detailing exactly what you need to do to import your products into your Shopify store. You can stop reading now.
Don't see your platform icon? Click the Cancel button.
3. If your old platform provided you with a CSV file, compare your CSV file to the example shown here. The CSV file format must match in order for your product to be uploaded to Shopify successfully. Learn more about the CSV file, here.
If you are creating your CSV file from scratch, click the Download a sample CSV template to see an example of the format required link. Make sure to match the order on that CSV file to yours so that it can be successfully uploaded to Shopify.
Save your CSV file somewhere on your computer.
4. Back in your shop admin, click on the Import products by CSV link.
5. Click the Choose File button.
6. Locate your CSV file, then click the Open button in the bottom left hand corner.
7. On the "Import product by CSV" page, click the Upload file button.
If your CSV file was successfully uploaded you should recieve an email from Shopify to the email account used to setup your Shopify store, saying that the process was successful. If you run into any issues, check out the solutions to common problems.
Did a "Choose column headings" window appear when you imported your CSV? You can use the Product Importer to select the proper headings for your CSV file. Take a look at this resource: How do I use the Product Importer?
Import products after making changes to your CSV file
On your Products page, you will see an Import button. This button is especially useful for making many changes to your products or inventory.
- From the Products page, click the Import button.
From the "Import products by CSV" window, click the Choose File button.
Locate your CSV file and click on it.
Click the Open button in the bottom left hand corner.
On the "Import product by CSV" window, click inside the checkbox next to Overwrite existing products that have the same handle. This will override any data that is currently up on Shopify.
On the "Import product by CSV" page, click the Upload file button.
If your CSV file was successfully uploaded you should receive an email from Shopify to the email account used to setup your Shopify store, saying that the process was successful. If you run into any issues, check out the solutions to common problems.
Want to add multiple product images for each product? Check out this guide called "How to add multiple product images using a CSV file".