Fulfill an order
This article explains how to automatically, manually or partially fulfill an order.
As soon as a customer has placed and paid for an order, and you've successfully captured their payment, it's time to fulfill the order.
When you fulfill an order in Shopify, you initiate the process of sending the order on its way to the customer. The customer is automatically sent an email telling them their item has shipped, and the order's Fulfillment Status is shown as Fulfilled on the Orders page.
If you've already set up order processing in your store Admin and selected "Automatically fulfill all of the order's line items," then this step is unnecessary and you can move right to archiving orders
When you choose your Order Processing settings, you'll decide whether you want to fulfill items automatically or manually based on the needs of your specific store.
There are 3 different options for fulfilling orders:
Automatically fulfill orders
Automatic fulfillment is the most hands-off way to fulfill your orders, but is only suitable for some types of product. You can use automatic payment capturing if you don't have any products available for preorder, if you're selling digital downloads, or if you’re using a fulfillment service.
If you've already set up your order processing section, this step is complete. If not, follow the steps below to set up automatic order fulfillment for every order.
If you have chosen to manually capture payment for your orders, you will have to capture funds before your order can be automatically fulfilled.
To set up automatic order fulfillment:
From your store Admin go to Settings > Checkout page.
In the Checkout page, find the section entitled Order processing.
Under the heading "After an order has been paid" select the option: Automatically fulfill all of the order's line items. You may also select "Notify customers of their shipment via email" if you want an email to be sent when the order is automatically fulfilled.
Every new order that comes into your store will now be fulfilled automatically.
If you are using a fulfillment service to ship your products, make sure that you have enabled the fulfillment service of your choice. Check out this article to find out all about Shopify-supported fulfillment services.
Manually Fulfill Orders
For most stores, it makes the most sense to manually fulfill your orders. This way you can control when they're sent out, and keep tabs on your inventory.
First, make sure that you have not selected Automatically fulfill all of the order's line items in the Order Processing section of your store Admin.
To manually fulfill an entire order:
From your store Admin, go to the Orders screen.
From the Orders screen, click on an order number that has a Fulfillment Status of "not fulfilled."
Click the Fulfill button.
In the dialog, enter the quantities of the line items you want to fulfill. By default, every line item is set to be fulfilled.
If your customer's order has a tracking number, enter it in the Optional tracking number field, and select a carrier from the drop-down menu.
If you want to send a notification email to the customer right away, make sure Send a notification email to the customer is selected.
Click Fulfill items to mark the order as Fulfilled.
The order screen shows the order's fulfillment status. A checkmark will show beside all line items that are marked as fulfilled.
Scroll down to the bottom of the page. There will now be a new entry under Order History that states “We successfully fulfilled x line item(s)."
Click “We successfully fulfilled x line item(s)." to see additional details.
If you didn't add tracking information when originally fulfilling the order, you can Update tracking numbers and send a notification email to your customer..
You can also fulfil orders in bulk.
Fulfill part of an order
If a customer has placed and paid for an order of multiple products, and one or more of the products is out of stock or a pre-order, you might want to fulfill only part of the order so their items can be shipped separately.
To fulfill only part of an order, you must not have automatic fulfillment enabled.
To fulfill only part of a customer's order:
1. From your store Admin, go to the Orders screen.
2. From the Orders page, click on an order number in the list that has a Fulfillment Status of Not fulfilled, or Partial and at least two line items.
3. Click Fulfill to mark the order as Fulfilled.
4. In the dialog, change the number of products you want to fulfill for each line item under the Quantity header.
5. If your customer's order has a tracking number, enter it in the optional tracking number field, and select a carrier from the drop-down menu.
6. If you want to send a notification email to the customer right away, make sure Send a notification email to the customer is selected.
7. Click the Fulfill items button.
8. The order screen will confirm whether the fulfillment was successful or not.
- Items that have been fulfilled will show a green checkmark.
- Partially fulfilled items will show in both the fulfilled and unfulfilled section of the order screen.
9. Scroll down to the bottom of the page. There will be a new entry under Order History that states “We partially fulfilled x line item(s)."
10. You can click "We partially fulfilled x line item(s)." to view the details as well as attach or update your tracking number for that line item.
11. At any time, you can return to this order to fulfill the rest of the line items, by clicking fulfill on the order screen.