Unsupported customizations fall outside the scope of our support service. This means that we’re not able to help you if you run into problems. The good news is that we’ve classified each tutorial according to its level of difficulty, to help you decide whether or not to attempt it on your own.
There’s also a growing community on our forums - you’ll often find friendly and helpful advice there. You could also consider reaching out to a Shopify Expert to assist you with some of the more advanced customizations.
Where do I get my MailChimp Form Action?
Those themes contain a theme setting called MailChimp Form Action or something similar. The MailChimp form action is the only piece of information the theme needs to hook up its signup form to your MailChimp account.
To complete this tutorial, you will need:
- A MailChimp account.
- A MailChimp list (to learn all about lists in MailChimp, click Support from the Mailchimp homepage, then scroll down and click Getting Started.)
- A Shopify Theme that integrates with MailChimp (it has a MailChimp Form Action theme setting.)
If you're using a mobile device, the screenshots in these instructions might not be entirely accurate. If you can't see MailChimp menu options at any time, try clicking the More button at the top left of the screen.
To obtain the code for your MailChimp Form Action:
1. Log into your MailChimp account.
2. Click the Lists button in the left navigation bar.
3. Click the drop-down box on the right, and choose Signup forms.
4. Choose Embedded forms.
5. On the Embedded form code page, click on Naked.
6. Scroll down and locate Copy/paste onto your site.
7. Double-click anywhere in the box to select the code.
8. Copy the code to your clipboard (use CMD-C for Mac or CTRL-C for Windows).
9. Paste the code into any text editor so that you can view it.
10. The only line of this code that you need is the action attribute value in the opening form tag. Reading from the top of the code, it's located between the second set of quotation marks. Don’t select the quotation marks themselves, just what's inside them.
Copy the selected action attribute value to your clipboard.
11. In a new tab, open up your shop admin.
12. From your shop admin, click Themes to go to your Themes page.
13. Click on the Theme Settings button.
14. Now you need to locate the MailChimp form action field in the Theme Settings. It might be called Mailchimp form action URL, or MailChimp Form Action, or similar. Its location varies from one theme to another, but it's most likely to be in the header, footer, or home page section.
15. Paste the action attribute value into the MailChimp form action field.
16. Save your changes.
17. Test things out by subscribing to your own MailChimp newsletter.